First stop was Changchun in NE China. It is Jilin Province which is above N Korea and on the same latitude as eastern Russia - way up north, Very cold in winter. But you will see from a shot from my hotel that it is well developed with skyscrapers lining the horizon. Changchun was the last place where the Last Emporer lived and Japan even built parliament buildings there for what they had assumed to be capital when they took over China
The next stop was Hong Kong where I stayed in the Island Shangrila and had a view of the Marriott hotel and apartments where I lived on the 47th floor for 6 months in 1991.
Then onto Mumbai where I stayed in the Taj next to the Gate of India.
I had never been to Saudi so was looking forward to that. My flight was 7 hours late so we drove 4 hours north to Qassim when I got to Riyadh. Qassim is the most conservative Muslim town in the world. All women - even expats - wear black and are covered head to foot (an opportunity for Simply Muslim!) and are not allowed to work. None were seen around the company I visited. In Riyadh I stayed in the Intercontinental Hotel and women arent allowed to use the pool or gym. I was invited out one nite into an expat compound where bootleg alcohol was available (wiskey $200/bottle) with home made wine and beer served in a retaurant!. One business meeting was in Kingdom Tower the home of rince Al-Waleed bin Talal bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alwaleed_bin_Talal
the 13th wealtiest person the world. The female office staff showed more flesh there - No doubt covering up when they go outside and go home. But the highlight of Saudi was a visit to poultry farms in Qassim where camels crossed the road.
Last stop was Cairo. An upgrade in the Four Seasons to a suite with a porch that looke ddwon the Nile. Only one photo as the battery died!
1 comment:
I loved the Simply Muslim comment!
Post a Comment