
Since I had to go through Copenhagen I decided to have a night there as I had never been there before. It was peak tourist season so hotels were hard to come by and expensive - $250/night for a tiny 3 star room with a 10 x 8 x 3 inch handbasin. I arrived form Kaliningrad at 10am and had to wait for a room to 2pm so went for a walk downtown and a short cruise through the canals. The old canal area is now a trendy cafe area.

.

On the main canal is the home of Hans Christian Anderson which is apparently on the market for $6m

The cruise took us to the main tourist attraction in town - The Little Mermaid - which is surprisingly small.

The town is quite spread out with large squares. A feature is that much of downtown is free of cars so the narrow streets are pedestrian malls. Fashion week was on while I was there with a lot of activity in one of the squares and many shops having promotions that gave out free beer and drinks

Much of the old canals have been developed into trendy apartments and new opera houses etc are being built, giving a real contrast to the old town architecture

No comments:
Post a Comment